The North Bay Fires:
Seeds of Awareness is here to
Hello Dear Community of Seeds of Awareness,
The tragedy of the fire is overwhelming and incredibly devastating, as you all know. Our deepest sympathy goes out to all of the victims of the North Bay fires.
Being near the heart of the tragedy, the shock, disbelief, and heart pang is hitting very close to home. At the same time, there has been a flood of support and care provided by our community volunteers rising up to support their neighbors in endless ways.
Many of our counselors are volunteering extra time to do our part to support the victims of the fire by providing mental health counseling, body work, and other forms of support, at the evacuation centers.
We currently have counselors available to anyone in need of counseling support. Please just let us know, and we can come to meet you or your loved ones where you are, or you can come to our offices in Petaluma for short-term, no-fee counseling.
You can sign up here.
We recognize that our support will be needed for the long run as well for many families and we are strategizing to see how we can funnel the heart and hands of our Seeds counselors to provide counseling support to communities, schools and individuals who have experienced trauma and loss from this tragedy. For this reason, we have postponed our November 5th “Sowing the Future Gala”. Instead we are focusing our efforts to provide direct support and strategize on how to support our school communities as they reconfigure. We do plan to hold our fundraiser in the spring of 2018, and will keep you posted on this.
Below please find community resources and volunteer opportunities we are aware of.
- Sonoma County Emergency Fire Notifications: Go to Nixle.com or text 888777 with your zip code to get updates on evacuations and new shelters opening.
- Air quality Information
- Topo Map of Fire and Burns
- Evacuation Shelter Info
- Large Animal Evacuation: Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, Sonoma-Marine Fairgrounds (Petaluma) and Sebastopol Grange
- Emergency wifi: Open air waves for user name “Guest”
- KSRO radio also has live updates
- Road and Traffic Info
- The Red Cross is accepting volunteers. If you would like to volunteer please call 707-577-7600 or visit http://www.redcross.org/
- The Center for Volunteer and Non-Profit Leadership Center of Sonoma County: or call 707-573-3399
- Grief and Crisis Counselors needed at Sonoma Valley High School: If licensed call (707) 888-5863
- Donations accepted through Redwood Credit Union: https://www.
- North Bay Fire Recovery Fund: http://www.
- The Undocu Fund has just been set up to collect donations targeted at helping fire-impacted undocumented families.
Doug Lerch, MFT